The site meter is ticking and I even got it to the bottom (dragging is just too simple for me to figure out on the first go). I couldn't get the HRML code to work before the (whoops: I can't put it here! Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed) position, so I had to use the dummy's way out. Still, a modest victory.
Week 1 was a whirlwind of new challenges and most days I felt like a dinosaur - and a foolish one at that. I met all of the weekly benchmarks except one: I still don't understand the difference between a blog and a website - or rather, I think I do, but the difference seems to lie in how they are most commonly used rather than in their intrinsic form. For instance, I update my website weekly, adding announcements, links, and material for students. Many websites are more rigid: once the content is there, it stays there. Blogs, being generally easier to add to (at least for me, since I can only update my Dreamweaver site at work), tend to be more fluid, more dynamic, and mutable. Another blog property is the automatic addition of a date to a blog post, which creates the typical chronological structure. In summary, I think a blog is a website sub-category.
Particularly liberating was the yahoo chat session during week 1. I won't even admit how infrequently I've chatted online, so the thrills of getting into the group, exchanging questions and comments with the moderator and the B4B partipants, and - o rapture - adding a moving emoticon were highlights of my week. Considering my week, that's no mean statement!
Tomorrow's challenge: add some "daily fun stuff" to the blog template. I've started with a prosaic one: a dictionary and thesaurus. Any more suggestions for add-ons?
Writing a blog on blogging is a bit like drawing your own hand drawing.
Friday, January 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hi, Jenny!
You are not dinosaur! You've gone farther than expected for week 1. Your definition of blogs and websites is fine and so is your blog. You know what? We'll be discussing how to add widgets to your blog in week 5 and you already put two of them in yours! What's more. I've added Merriam-Webster search boxes to my material for that week thanks to you! Thank you for your unintended contribution, Jenny!
Post a Comment